Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

so I'm going to Russia

Here it is, friends. One month from today, I will be starting classes at Herzen University in St. Petersburg, Russia. One-week-short-of-one month from today, I will be leaving my sleepy little town in northeastern Ohio to go there. I'm sure I'll have lots of interesting stories then, but I really couldn't wait that long to start writing. Goodness knows if I'd ever start.

In the meantime, then... a brief history that might help explain why in the world am I going to Russia, which is a question I have heard more times in the past semester than I care to count.

(Note: it sounds formal because it is. This is the personal statement I included with my application to the program.)


I first heard of Russia when I was five years old. A family in my church had adopted two Russian girls, Anastasia and Kristina. Being an overachieving little kindergartener, I went to the library to learn about the country the girls were coming from. I was intrigued from the first “Counting to 10 in Russian” book. The number three was just “tree,” and it tickled me that a word in my language could sound the same but mean something completely different in another. Over the next few years, my childlike fascination with Russian culture grew, fed by real-life legends like those of Ivan the Terrible or the Romanovs and purely fantasy stories like those of the Firebird or Baba Yaga. There was a magic about Russia that made Russian fairytales so much more engaging than French ones, an appealing something that made Tchaikovsky a more favored accompaniment to my attempts at ballet than Debussy.

An attraction to Russian culture and history simmered for a few years, until it was turned up to a boil during my sophomore year of high school. That was the year I was introduced to the Russian Golden Age greats: Chekhov, Dostoyevsky, and Tolstoy. Their writing was so engaging and the ideas so rich—I wanted to read them in Russian. I wanted to understand the context behind all of the stories, to acclimate myself to the subtleties and undertones in the literature, and to be as intimately familiar with it as I was with English literature.

My understanding of Russian culture and literary tradition has grown enormously since coming to university, but my taste for deeper knowledge has only been whetted. I cannot pursue familiarity with the literary tradition the same way I have in English, because my level of comfort with the Russian language is relatively low. I cannot intimately understand the cultural, historical, and geographical context for their art, because I have not experienced it myself. Going to Russia for an extended period of time, expressly to study and be immersed in the country itself, would put me on a trajectory to fix both of these problems. By intensive language training, I hope to grow more capable of speaking and reading in Russian. Living in the country, there will be many opportunities for me to engage with the culture from the inside. Certainly, to have as intimate an understanding of the context of Russian art and literature would take many years of living in the country, but I am looking forward to laying a foundation for my endeavor.

I also hope that a semester in Russia will prepare me for my life after college. Regardless of whether I spend any time after graduation in Russia, a better knowledge of the language will equip me to interact with native Russian speakers. Also, after spending this past summer working with English as a Second Language students, I am eager to have live in a culture that is not my own. I’ve seen this experience grow and challenge students in a way that “comfortable” academic work in their own country never could. I want to continue to mature in flexibility and perseverance, even as I familiarize myself with the context of the art that I love. Beyond this semester and graduation? I do not know what career I want to pursue, but I hope that the country and the literature that have captivated me will be a part of it.

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes, Katie, on this exciting and life-expanding adventure ahead of you.

    I do have an inquiry for you, one who likely knows more about things Russian than anyone else I likely know...

    So, after being told throughout my life that I am wholly of Polish decent on both sides of my family, my mother revealed to me well into my adult life that part of my father's family was born in Russia. Apparently, my father felt some shame about his ancestry, which he never shared with his children. Not knowing anything about Polish/Russian history, I poked around a little bit for information about the revelation of possible Russian heritage. What I've learned, I think, is that there was a part of Russia that later became Poland. My father's family would be considered accordingly Russian Poles. Does this jive with your knowledge of Russian history? From an ancestral point of view, am I Polish or Polish/Russian? Any insights you know or learn about this would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you, Marilyn Bellafiore (Italian by marriage only)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Bellafiore--

    Thank you! I'm very excited.

    I think the thing that is complicated about your history is the difference between Russian ethnicity and Russian nationality.

    Poland has had its own identity through most of history, although it has often been subjugated by various other, stronger countries, including Russia. Most of Poland is (and has been) ethnically Polish/religiously Catholic, although there is an ethnic Russian/religiously Orthodox minority. Politically, Poland was absorbed into the Russian Empire for about 120 years, from about 1800-1920, and then into the Eastern Bloc of the USSR for about 45 years, from about 1945-1990. If your father's family was part of the Russian minority in either of those periods, I can understand some of the shame... like any (apparently oppressive) minority might feel.

    If both sides of your family are from the area of Europe which is now Poland and used to be the Polish Soviet republic, politically your ancestry is directly Polish. Ethnically... you would have to look at last names, I think, to tell.
    But if your father's family was from what is now Russia and moved to Poland only as part of the subjugation in either era, I can really understand why he would have wanted to keep it secret, especially if he wanted to marry into a purely Polish family.

    I don't know if any of this is helpful, but that sounds like an interesting search into your ancestry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie, for your very thoughtful, informative and informed reply. You've provided new clues for me to follow and some food for thought. Safe and happy travels!

      Delete