Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

new year's resolutions

If all goes as planned, I will be spending fully half of 2014 in St. Petersburg. I think that means my Russian semester merits its own list of goals/resolutions! (Also, if you remember, plots and plans make me really happy.)

So. My goals. (I think “resolutions” might be a little much for right now, since living in Russia is something I’ve never done before, and I have no idea if any of these things are actually attainable.)

  • Learn at least one interesting new vocab word each day. If I don’t in classes/life, look one up in a dictionary. 
  • Average no more than 30 minutes per day in communication with America (including email, Facebook, phone, and video chat). 
  • Learn to pray in Russian.
  • Find a place in St. Petersburg where I can swing dance. 
    • Wear my amazing (-ly obnoxious) new $6 dance shoes. 
    • Be the exotic American doing exotic American dances like, the way they do them in America. 
  • But otherwise, keep the obvious Americanness to a minimum. 
  • Read at least one “for fun” book in Russian. Even if it’s a children’s book. 
  • Remember to take my dietary supplements and vitamins. 
  • Attend a Russian church. 
    • Make friends with the local бабушки (read: little old church ladies). 
    • By the end of the semester, understand what's going on at all times during the service.
  • Don’t be too annoying about rooting for the good ol’ USA during the Olympics. 
  • Update this blog at least twice a week. 
  • Get more sleep than I do at ND on a regular basis (so, more than 6.5 hours/night). 
  • Stay in a hostel. 
  • Visit every free museum in St. Petersburg. 
  • Do not end up leading/directing/in charge of anything. Except maybe weekend excursions with the other students.

Unrealistic? I hope not. Here’s to a good 6 months in Russia. (I am now toasting with a mug of water—I can give a real toast with real alcohol once I get to Russia and am legal.)


PS- for fun, a picture of my amazing & obnoxious $6 dance shoes. Wow are they comfortable. And wow are they ever ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment