Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

important things that have happened recently

Hello. I’m back. I know it’s been a little longer than a week, but I figured skipping one blog post didn’t really count as a break, so I skipped two. whee!

I am doing better now than a week ago. I think I attributed my stress a bit… falsely. Yes, I want to be fluent-or-close-to-it in Russian. No, that’s not going to happen in the next month. But probably what was/is hardest of all is balancing my life as it exists in Russia with my life as it is still connected to America. If I could completely immerse myself in Russia, not worry about keeping in touch with friends from home, not worry about assuring my parents I’m still alive, not worry about what I’m doing over the summer, not worry about what classes I’m going to take next semester, not worry about applications for post-grad programs, basically not worry about having any sort of life worth going back to in America… that would be a different story. Not that I’m actually worried about those things, or nervous—I just need to think about them from time to time/oftener than I would like.

BUT I have taken strides to simplify my life/reduce this dual-citizenship deal, and some other cool things have happened, so here’s list for you of recent events that make me happy:
  1. I finished and submitted my Fulbright screening application.
  2. I finished and submitted my senior thesis proposal.
  3. I tried Azerbaijani food for the first time (amazing).
  4. I received and confirmed a job offer for the summer.
  5. I found a store where I can buy peanuts for 22rubles/100g.
  6. I saw every impressionist painting in the Hermitage.
  7. I went to Pavlovsk!
  8. I chose, doubted, and then reconfirmed my classes for next semester.
  9. I attended my first full-length, Sunday-morning Orthodox service.
  10. I babysat for some expat friends at my church.


So life is good, I’m alive, I’m handling classes pretty well, people seem to understand me when I speak, I have lots of plans for the next few weeks, and I only have 10 class days left in the semester! (Isn’t that weird? Especially considering I won’t be home for over a month?)


No comments:

Post a Comment